DESIGN THINKING FOR INSTITUTIONAL REFORM AND SUSTAINABLE NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BY DR. SEGUN OJAROTADE.PRESENTED AT 2019 CILG LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE,INDUCTION AND AWARD ON 28TH NOV,2019.AT NATIONAL MERIT AWARD HOUSE ABUJA.
- Leadership is probably not where we think it is!
- Leadership Is a journey that starts where you are, not where you want to be
- Leadership is about Leading up to those we are accountable to, Leading down to those we are responsible for, leading horizontally to our peers and leading self to yourself.
- Leaders are needed at every level of the organization from security at the gate to the front desk, cleaners, drivers, even before manager, We need good leadership in the church, mosques, business etc.
- Leadership is about Service to everyone we lead, Security in self not in position, Maturity by putting team first not self, Communication with all level of organization, Resourcefulness and finding creative way to make things happen,
But when there are no leaders?
- Vision are Lost, Decision delayed, We face Multiple Agendas, Conflict are extended, Productivity are reduced. Mismanagement become normal and Corruptions become a King in the Kingdom.
To the youth present here today. I challenge you
- Stop saying you can’t lead if you are not at the top.” Leadership is not about Position.
Stop waiting to lead, until when you get to the top, leadership is not about destination .
To some of you that say“If I were on top, then people would automatically follow me.” Leadership is about Influence (Where I stand for Integrity, N for Nurturing people or empowering followers, F for Faith in your followers, L means Listen to others. U mean understand your followers’ mean to be emotional intelligent, N mean navigate your followers through issues, challenges, C stand for Communication and the last E stand for be an exampler to your followers
Today to build a strong institution
Successful organizations cannot afford to wait until someone gets “to the top” to start leading. You need to demonstrate it from where you are now.
Infact , We need the presence of competent leaders at every level of organizational structures and it begins from where you are.
Design thinking is About Innovative strategy: The process of making changes to something established by introducing something new that adds value to people (O’Sullivan, 2008).
- Innovation in your business, organisation can mean introducing new or improved products, services or processes. The implementation of a new ways
- To the DG, Perm Sec, Directors, CEO, HOD and New Leaders in the house be informed that:
- Good leaders create and foster an environment where innovation is valued and nurtured for institutional growth.
- Promote regular team brainstorming sessions per time
- Allow employees /Followers a chance to produce a high-quality idea
- Create an encouraging work environment.
- Reward innovation and celebrate success.
- Appropriate incentives can play a significant role in encouraging staff /followers to think creatively.
- Thank you. Dr.Segun Ojarotade Regional Director CILG Nigeria Chapter.